Thursday, December 4, 2008

"Boy, Henry looks like he's got a lot of energy tonight!"

Truer words were never spoken. If I put some logo stickers on him you would've sworn you were at a NASCAR race. Jeez. Last night I tried to do all those position adjustments my trainer mandated on Tuesday. Shoulders back, butt in the saddle, hands forward, and LEGS ON. I tried, despite Henry taking that to mean "ok, let's GO!"

I worked a little bit on shoulder-in, leg-yield (one or two each way) but mostly concentrated on rhythm and tempo while maintaining a better position. It's hard to do that when I've let him get away with not dealing with a consistent leg aid for so long. It's all my fault and I stayed as calm as possible (while avoiding crashing into the two other riders in the ring) so that he would stay calm too.

We finished up with some counter canter, which was a lot easier for him going to the right. I had a hard time getting him to pick up the lead going left. We'll get there!

I have to work tonight so Henry will get the day off, lucky thing! I am starting to think about what he needs for the holidays, too(well... he doesn't really NEED anything, but all those horsey catalogues are tempting)...
  • new Himalayan salt lick (he really, REALLY loves that thing)
  • bell boots that won't fall apart
  • new water bucket (and a new scrub brush for me)
  • saddle repair (needs to be re-sewn around the pommel, and maybe replace billet straps?)
What's on your horse's wish list?

No comments:

Post a Comment